- Student Life
- Schools & Faculties
- School of Medicine
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Physiotherapy
- School of Postgraduate Studies
- School of Nursing & Midwifery
- Institute of Leadership
- Health Professions Education Centre (HPEC)
- Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery
- Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Radiologists
- Academic Departments
- Teaching Hospitals
- Surgical Affairs
- Research News & Events
- Research Areas
- Principal Investigators
- Institutional Research & Training Programmes
- Technology Cores & Research Facilities
- Research Office
- Employment and Studentship Opportunities
- Research Ethics
- Research Staff Association
- Technology Transfer Office & Management of Intellectual Property
- Research by Faculty
- Research by Academic Department
- Research by School
- About RCSI
- CEO & Senior Management
- Annual Report
- 3U Partnership
- Contact Us & Location
- Venue Hire
- RCSI and the wider community
- Quality Enhancement Office
- Academic Health Centre
- RCSI Corporate Videos
- Freedom of Information (FOI)
- Class of 2013 Commemorative Video
- Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences Strategy 2013 - 2017
- RCSI International
Institute of Research
1. Support and carry out world-class biomedical translational research and to integrate basic and clinical research, so that advances in medical science are translated as quickly as possible into improved diagnoses and treatments for the benefit of patients and the community.
2. Provide internationally competitive postgraduate research training for scholars, scientists, and clinicians, equipping them for excellence in basic, clinical and population level translational research careers.
3. Acquire and develop advanced technologies to support its translational research programmes.
4. Generate novel intellectual property and support its commercialisation.
5. Evaluate and inform health services policy and practice, nationally and internationally.
The Institute is a multi-site research infrastructure encompassing the research activities of RCSI at the St Stephen's Green campus and the RCSI Education and Research Centre (ERC) at Beaumont Hospital with a common governance and administrative support.
Its defining strategy is to facilitate Translational research and training programmes between scientists and clinicians across the RCSI teaching hospitals and research laboratories so that advances in medical science are translated as quickly as possible into patient treatments.
The Institute of Research provides core facilities to researchers in areas of functional genomics, molecular medicine, peptide and solid phase chemistry, drug delivery, transgenics, cellular and molecular imaging, clinical trials and biobanking and supports research into diseases of particular relevance to Ireland's health care system, including population health, breast cancer, respiratory, cardiovascular, and neurodegenerative diseases.
Over the period of the current Strategic Plan for Research 2009-2014, the RCSI will aspire to play a leading national and international role in Translational Medicine and Surgical Research and Training.