Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Coláiste Ríoga na Máinleá in Éirinn


This section provides some general information about primary health care, screening and immunisation, health insurance and health and safety.

Primary Care

AMercer's Medical Centre comprehensive student health service is available at the Department of General Practice, in the Mercer's Medical Centre.Consultations are by appointment (T: +353 1 402 2300). A full range of services is available, including treatment of injuries and advice regarding lifestyle. 

Consultation fees are covered by RCSI, but students are responsible for house calls and prescribed medication charges. For further information regarding student health, please visit


Please click here for further information on vaccinations, screening and immunisation.

Dental care

A register of dental practices adjacent to the College is maintained at the Student Services Office and is available on request. Please note that dental costs are the responsibility of individual students. 

Emergency/hospital services

All registered medical students at the RCSI, both EU nationals and non-EU nationals deemed ordinarily resident in Ireland, are entitled to public care in a public hospital but are subject to government levies, €100 per day in a public ward (with a maximum of €600 payable in any one year) and €100 (per illness, for life) for attendance at the Accident & Emergency Department, unless referred by a general practitioner. Students covered by the Irish Medical Card and the UK National Health Insurance are exempt from these government levies.

A non-EU national should be regarded as 'ordinarily resident' in Ireland if he/she satisfies the health board that it is his/her intention to remain in Ireland for a minimum period of one year. Evidence which may be sought includes:

  • proof of property purchase or rental, including evidence that the property in question is the applicant’s principal residence.
  • evidence of transfer of funds, or bank accounts.
  • Immigration Registration Card
  • visa or residence permit as stamped on passport
  • signed affidavit by the applicant

Private medical health insurance

All non-EU/non-EEA students are required to purchase private medical health insurance in Ireland. A reduced annual premium may be obtained by joining a student scheme. The Voluntary Health Insurance Board (VHI), Laya Healthcare and Aviva Healthcare are the major providers of private health insurance in Ireland. O'Driscoll O'Neil Insurance operate MediCover for overseas students. 

Detailed information may be obtained by contacting the following:

O'Driscoll O'Neil Insurance,

T: +353 1 872 4499

Laya Healthcare
T: +353 1 1890 700 890


Irish Life health 
T: 1890 714 444 or (021) 480 2040


Compare Health Insurance costs: 

EU nationals must obtain an EHIC form from their country of origin to avail of free public services in EU countries. This form is available free of charge to Irish nationals intending travelling to other EU countries. The EHIC form is not required in the UK but proof of Irish nationality (passport) is necessary to avail of public health services on admission to hospital.



About EHIC

Getting necessary healthcare in other EU/EEA countries
As an Irish resident you are entitled to receive healthcare through the public system in countries of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay there. 
Further information available on


Health and safety

Health & SafetyIt is the policy of RCSI to provide a healthy and safe working environment. This can only be achieved successfully with the co-operation and vigilance of all students. According to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, all staff and students have a “duty of care” to themselves and others, to work in a safe manner. To this end, white coats, safety glasses, and other protective clothing must be worn, when required. Codes of safe working practice will be issued to students when they commence practical classes.

Students are also reminded that it is a criminal offence to interfere with or misuse equipment provided for their collective safety. Action will be taken against any student who deliberately endangers the health and/or safety of others, for example, by misusing fire extinguishers.

Students playing sports on behalf of the College are strongly advised to take out health insurance which will cover them for both accident and illness. The College accepts no responsibility for accidents occurring while playing sport.