- Student Life
- Schools & Faculties
- School of Medicine
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Physiotherapy
- School of Postgraduate Studies
- School of Nursing
- Institute of Leadership
- Health Professions Education Centre (HPEC)
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Radiologists
- Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery
- Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Academic Departments
- Teaching Hospitals
- Surgical Affairs
- Research News & Events
- Research Areas
- Principal Investigators
- Institutional Research & Training Programmes
- Technology Cores & Research Facilities
- Research Office
- Employment and Studentship Opportunities
- Research Ethics
- Research Staff Association
- Technology Transfer Office & Management of Intellectual Property
- Research by Faculty
- Research by Academic Department
- Research by School
- About RCSI
- CEO & Senior Management
- Annual Report
- 3U Partnership
- Contact Us & Location
- Conference Facilities
- RCSI and the wider community
- Quality Enhancement Office
- Academic Health Centre
- RCSI Corporate Videos
- Freedom of Information (FOI)
- Class of 2013 Commemorative Video
- Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences Strategy 2013 - 2017
- RCSI International
Institute of Leadership
The Institute of Leadership is part of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, the leading Irish organisation in professional education in healthcare. We are based in Dublin, Dubai and Bahrain and also provide training in Jordan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
Our mission is to improve human health through the development of excellent leaders and managers in the health professions. We provide:
- Education to Postgraduate Diploma and Masters Degree levels in leadership, healthcare management, quality and professional development.
(Our Masters Programmes)
- Short tailored programmes in leadership, management communication, coaching and professional development. (Our Short Training Programmes)
- Consultancy services in Knowledge and Information Management and Psychometrics.
(Our Consultancy Services)
- Applied Research expertise using both qualitative and quantitative methodology.
(Our Academic Research)
As health professionals, we now work in a challenging and rapidly changing environment that requires us to display, in addition to our technical/clinical skills, a broad range of leadership, supervisory and management skills. However most of us will have received little or no training in our professional careers for these demanding roles. Established in 2005, the RCSI Institute of Leadership provides opportunities for health professionals to develop as leaders capable of displaying a wide range of management and supervisory skills in their clinical or administrative roles. With over 400 students registered for postgraduate degrees and an equal number taking our short development programmes, the Institute is fully integrated into the RCSI. We achieve our mission through a combination of academic rigour, a practical focus on improving healthcare delivery and helping professionals understand and develop themselves.
Our degree programes are part-time, interprofessional and modular and delivered using a blend of distance and classroom education. We offer a range of accredited postgraduate diploma and masters programmes in leadership, professional development, healthcare management, quality and patient safety.
Our Educational Philosophy
Our management and leadership programmes are similar to those of the best international business schools but tailored specifically for healthcare. Although grounded in up-to-date academic research, our courses are flexible and practical. Our students learn to analyse complex organisational and managerial problems and deploy a broad range of management tools to identify and assess solutions. We focus strongly on the characteristics and dynamics of multi-professional teams and the variety of disciplines represented on our programmes is a distinct asset in this regard. Our programmes are grounded on the core principles of modern interactive adult learning. In addition to lectures and tutorials, students participate actively in case studies, group projects, assignments and debates, and we provide a supportive atmosphere that fosters learning from experience, through reflection, dialogue, advocacy and enquiry.
Our programmes are participative and interactive. We help and encourage individuals to develop themselves and their organisations. The programmes are designed around individuals' needs and are underpinned by a coherent set of core principals. We ensure quality by listening to our students, through ongoing research and development and through consultation and interaction with stakeholders in the healthcare system. In addition to classroom teaching, our students are supported by a sophisticated online learning portal that provides a wide range of learning materials including academic papers, weblinks, presentations, podcasts, vodcasts & communications fora.
For further information, please visit our website www.rcsileadership.org.