- Student Life
- Faculties & Departments
- Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences
- School of Medicine
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Physiotherapy
- School of Nursing & Midwifery
- School of Postgraduate Studies
- Institute of Leadership
- Student, Academic & Regulatory Affairs
- Health Professions Education Centre (HPEC)
- Academic Departments
- Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery
- Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Radiologists
- Surgical Affairs
- Research News & Events
- Research Areas
- Principal Investigators
- Research Networks & Centres
- Technology Cores & Research Facilities
- Research Office
- Employment and Studentship Opportunities
- Research Ethics
- Technology Transfer Office & Management of Intellectual Property
- Research by Faculty
- Research by Academic Department
- Research by School
- Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)
- About RCSI
- CEO & Senior Management
- Annual Report
- 3U Partnership
- Contact Us & Location
- Venue Hire
- RCSI and the wider community
- Quality Enhancement Office
- Academic Health Centre
- RCSI Corporate Videos
- Freedom of Information (FOI)
- Class of 2013 Commemorative Video
- Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences Strategy 2013 - 2017
- RCSI International
How to Apply
Higher Degrees by Research
Opportunities for PhD, MD, MCh or MSc by research positions can arise in the following ways.
- RCSI invites applications at specific times during the academic year for structured PhD programmes in themed areas.
- A member of RCSI staff obtains a funding agency grant to conduct a research study and advertises a studentship to attract suitably qualified candidates to complete the project. Usually the member of staff who receives the funding becomes the student's main research supervisor.
- Individuals wishing to conduct a research project can approach supervisors at RCSI to discuss potential opportunities.
- A student receives their own funding and approaches potential supervisors to see if they would be interested in supervising the proposed project at RCSI.
When applicants receive an offer to conduct a research project at RCSI, they are invited to submit an online application to register for the relevant higher degree by research. Please click the links below to find instructions and access to this online application system.
Taught Postgraduate Courses
Generally, taught postgraduate courses at RCSI accept applications in early spring each year for classes which begin in September / October. Some courses may have alternative arrangements for the timing of applications and start dates. Please check the details associated with the course in which you are interested from the relevant postgraduate course web page before submitting an application.
Online Application Procedure
Please make sure that you have all relevant supporting documents and an individual, passport-sized photograph ready to upload with your application. You will need to upload evidence of qualifications (transcripts), your most up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a research proposal (template found here). Photographs must be recent and of the individual who wishes to apply for the degree; group photographs / photocopies of passports cannot be accepted.
Please direct any questions about the online application system to email@example.com
Deadlines for registering for a higher degree by research
Prospective research postgraduate candidates can register for a higher degree by research at RCSI on a rolling basis. Student registration is either in October or April each year. The next available date for registration is 1st April 2015 and the deadline for applications is Friday 17th April 2015.